History

Portobello Road was originally no more than a winding country path known as Green Lane. Then in 1740 after the construction of Portobello Farm (so called after Puerto Bellos, a  town formerly under Spanish rule captured by the Britsh during the War of Jenkins’ Ear by Admiral Edward Vernon ) It was renamed Porto Bello Lane.

portobelloroadsign

 

Portobello Road really started to take form and be recognisable as we know it today around 1850 during the Victorian Era; snuggled between the large new residential developments of Paddington and Notting Hill its shops and market stalls were in the perfect place to benefit from the new well-to-do residents of the majestic terrace houses that were built up around the area.
By 1945 many “Rag and Bone” men began setting up stalls and selling second hand household items and antiques, kick starting the now world famous antiques section of the market.Originally the market trade was predominantly food stalls (known locally as “costermongers”) but driven by the ever expanding neighborhood other traders set up shop selling general “bric-a-brac” goods and medicines.